“It was a time in my life that was so special I will never ever forget it. I shouldn’t say that to my two sons, but I was never that excited in my life as when I was on that show.”


The Film

“Come On Down!” is a film about game show culture, the American dream, and the once-in-a-lifetime experience of hearing the words, “Come on down!”


Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Star For A Day ~ Joe

I gotta be honest, I never was a huge fan of The Price Is Right, never watched it, I knew that my dad and my sister were both pretty obsessed with the show. I was much more of a ‘View’ type of girl- I preferred watching that.



While we were in LA the day after the taping, Allison and I went down to the Hollywood ‘Walk of Fame’ and I got a picture taken with Bob Barker’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, just kind of as a tribute to all which is he.



My family has kind of a weird history of being on game shows. Both my aunt and my uncle were on Scrabble back in the day- they did a horrible job and they didn’t win anything I think- that it almost felt like my duty as a Hollendoner to bring good name back to game shows for us.

I had this shirt made for me cuz I knew if I ever got on stage this would be my father’s crowning moment in his life. Now mind you I’ve graduated with my Masters program at the age of 23, I’ve been pretty successful in life but, for my dad this is the story he starts off with when he starts talking about his son Joe, right.



I have our nametags, both Allison’s and mine. I was so impressed with the woman who made out the nametags that I asked her ‘did you have to have good handwriting to get this job’ and she assured me that, "no," but we thought that she had just the most pleasant handwriting in the world.



And Allison starts shaking me saying your name was called your name was called, I was like ‘you are gonna play me for a fool’, I am not gonna go down like that.

So she’s shaking me saying your name was called your name was called, and so eventually I just have this leap of faith moment- I don’t see a card with my name being held up or anything, but I say, I’m goin for it. So I get up, I’m about four rows away from Bidder’s Row, and so I made the most horribly ugly face I have ever made in my whole entire life screaming and shouting and running down to Bidder’s Row. Making this horrific face that looks like I have been released from some hospital of sorts.

So the following weekend Allison and I host a brunch for all of our friends and family to come so we could serve em’ breakfast foods, watch the screening together and just re-live the experience because it was an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment