“It was a time in my life that was so special I will never ever forget it. I shouldn’t say that to my two sons, but I was never that excited in my life as when I was on that show.”


The Film

“Come On Down!” is a film about game show culture, the American dream, and the once-in-a-lifetime experience of hearing the words, “Come on down!”


Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Star For A Day ~ Derek

"So after many hours of waiting, and more waiting, and more waiting, we finally got to the groups where you line up in front of the producers. They said ‘Derek, where you from, what do you do,’ I told them I was going to school to be a meteorologist, that I was from Wisconsin."



"Because of the fact that our episode would probably air in October or November (the election) we did ‘Bob For President’ and my fiancĂ©, a teacher, did ‘Teachers For Bob’ on her shirt which we made. But once we were in line we noticed that a lot of people did ‘Bob For President,’ so I said "I gotta find somethin’ else" cuz you you gotta be unique to stand out."



"So we were in, I think, Abercrombie & Finch or some store and saw a ‘Wisconsin Smell Our Dairy-Air’ shirt, and decided to go with that because I also noticed that there weren’t a lot of Midwest people there. We ran into a lot of people from California, from the West Coast, some people from the Northeast, but we didn’t really run in to a lot of Midwest people, nobody from Wisconsin or Minnesota or Illinois."



"We decided we’d stay at The Farmer’s Daughter, which is a place where a lot of people who have been contestants on the show went. The Farmers Daughter has had so many people that have been contestants on "The Price Is Right" stay there that they actually have a ‘Wall of Fame,’ and if someone who stayed there happens to get on the show they take a Poloroid picture of you and you write down the date of the show, what you won, anything you want to write on it and you can see all these pictures and there’s you know- an autographed picture of Bob black & white up there, you can see all the different people over the years who have gone there."

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, thanks for sharing! I had a friend who was just recently on the Price is Right.

    ReplyDelete