“It was a time in my life that was so special I will never ever forget it. I shouldn’t say that to my two sons, but I was never that excited in my life as when I was on that show.”


The Film

“Come On Down!” is a film about game show culture, the American dream, and the once-in-a-lifetime experience of hearing the words, “Come on down!”


Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Film

"Come On Down!" follows "Real Barker", a Grandfather from Maine, as he pursues his lifelong dream of being on "The Price Is Right." For almost thirty years, Real has staged a family “Price Is Right” tournament on Christmas Eve as a device to keep the family together. Despite several un-successful attempts to go to the show in the 1980’s and 1990’s, the Credit family once again sets out with hopes of being on the show.

In addition, the charismatic cast of characters that we interviewed includes housewives, rock bands, college students, scholars, grandmas, fanatics, and "regular Joe's." The “TPIR-stories” that we have collected offer a hilarious and lighthearted glimpse at a truly unique staple of American popular culture as devotees live their "American dream." As one fan proclaimed, “I compare it to Canterbury Tales… I think it truly is an American pilgrimage.”

Just as the show that inspired it, “Come On Down” provides a welcome reprieve from the many grave and serious issues that we face in the world today. In all seriousness, the film reminds us that family, laughter, and good, clean fun are also endangered in our modern world, and invites us to laugh at ourselves, meet our neighbors, and remember to “help control the pet population…. Have your pet spayed or neutered!” ~ Bob Barker

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE BOB! BOB BARKER RULES!!!! HE WAS THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!

    ReplyDelete