“It was a time in my life that was so special I will never ever forget it. I shouldn’t say that to my two sons, but I was never that excited in my life as when I was on that show.”


The Film

“Come On Down!” is a film about game show culture, the American dream, and the once-in-a-lifetime experience of hearing the words, “Come on down!”


Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Star For A Day ~ "Plinko" Jay

My name is Jay, and I’m from Tampa FL, and this is a Plinko board that I made for Halloween 2004. It kinda stemmed from being a kid, I used to make Plinko games for other kids in the neighborhood.


I wrote a song, about the Samoan experience on The Price Is Right, (Plinko chip drop), it’s called ‘Samoans Is Right,’ and it’s a little avant-garde but it’s something close to my heart.


This was ultimately a box that I took from work- I don’t recall what was in the box originally, but it was this size and it was entirely made out of cardboard including the strap, and then I did some research, and used the actual colors of the Plinko board, it’s comprised of the font and I went so far as to get the actual $$ sign of The Price Is Right.


I tried to make everything as accurate as possible. I looked up the Plinko logo and painted that just as it appears on the board itself, the number fonts I just found the closest resembling font as I could, and of course the Plinko chip has the $$ font on that.



The pegs are made out of glue sticks and they have a little bit of a nice wear and a little bounce, so when you do drop it, … so whenever you do drop them they have a little bit of a bounce to it and then when people stick their hands in there it’s ok it’s flexible.


I think it’s just the math of Plinko that is so exciting to me- the other themes of The Price Is Right were really more about- you had to be a little bit more domestic- you had to know, like, this can of Campbell’s was less then the box of detergent.


In Plinko you’re rewarded for just the sheer dynamics of placing a chip, and it just falls, and I just won probably zero dollars, but someone on the real game might win like $5000 and it’s pretty exciting.


No comments:

Post a Comment